Supplies provided by Alcala upon request:
- non-absorbent shipping container (plastic, styrofoam, aluminum, etc.)
- biohazard bags
- suitable amount of bubble wrap
- AT LEAST 2 thick ice packs (NOTE: please store ice packs at -20°C, overnight prior to shipping)
- 3M MonitorMarkTM Time Temperature Indicators (NOTE: please store temperature strips at 4°C, overnight prior to shipping).
Supplies not provided by Alcala:
- Place desired samples into a secured biohazard bag. Make sure biohazard bag seal is closed.
- Wrap biohazard bag containing samples in bubble wrap and secure with packing tape.
- Place ice pack(s) in non-absorbent container, then place bubble wrapped sample(s) directly on top of ice pack(s). Ensure samples are in upright position if possible. Place additional ice pack(s) on top of bubble wrapped samples.
- Use provided temperature strip “MonitorMark” 3M after placing sample with ice pack(s) into the shipping container. IMPORTANT: To prevent premature response, MonitorMark Time Temperature Indicators must be conditioned for a minimum of two hours in a suitable refrigerator below 10°C prior to removing the activation strip and activating the indicators. Once conditioned and ready for use, the indicators can be maintained at any temperature below 10°C.
- Please stick temperature strip with adhesive end onto a cold surface (near cold sample or ice pack) before activating it. At the moment the time temperature indicator is activated by pulling the activation strip, the surface to which it is attached (container, product itself, etc.) must be at a temperature below 10°C. Otherwise, the heat from the carton or card could be enough to cause a premature response in the indicator. To activate pull the side tab up and remove the activation strip.
For light blue top 3.2% Na Citrate vacutainer (for clients requesting PT-INR assay only)
Collect and ship one Whole Blood 2.7 mL (Minimum volume: 2.4 mL) tube. Transport temperature and stabilities are the same as adult volumes. Draw plain red-top tube and discard or use for other testing. Draw blood into light blue-top tube, filling tube to mark indicated on label of tube. A completely filled tube is necessary, because the correct ratio of blood to citrate is critical (9:1). Mix by gentle inversion 3-4 times. Do not uncap. Do not overfill tube.
Transport Temperature light-blue vacutainer Whole blood: Room temperature! Please place on top of packaging material away from the ice packs at the bottom of the foam box!
Transport stability light-blue vacutainer blood: Room temperature: 48 hours
Refrigerated: 48 hours
- Secure container lid and seal with packing tape. (Note: Blood samples should NOT come into direct contact with ice and must be completely separated by bubble wrap.)
- Place shipping label visibly on container, and submit to shipping company for delivery.
Gross hemolysis, gross lipemia, improper blood to citrate ratio, high hematocrit, improper collection of blood.